7 augusti 2008

Is Fantasy between Feeling and Thinking...?

me explaining the relation between emotion and thought {from correspondings with a virtual mate from other side of earth}:


And when reading Jung and others, the potentially existing line between thinking and feeling always fascinates me. "Fantasy" seems to be a phenomenon really in between of "to feel" and "to think of" something.

I'm preoccupied with Thinking BUT in an emotional(=feeling) way. I'm most motivated by Feeling. Feeling is the main Reason I do things. But I feel mostly by dwelling in thoughts, deep in complex thoughts, or simple wonder. You also could say I have Thinking/Thought(s) as my territory or playground, rather than what we see as pure Feeling(s).


["So are you saying that you think about your feelings, or that your feelings give rise to your thoughts? Or both?"]


I mean that my feelings give rise to my thoughts.
Good way of saying it! It proves that you are close to T ;-)

The other way around - think of ones feelings - is described in Zannos book as "the intellectual part of the emotional function". You could call it the thinking-aspect of feeling. (But the emotional function is also seen as much of a social function). If a person has this as his tendency, he/she will be strongest motivated by the will to think, to control and understand mentally, and the object he/she seeks out is emotions (often in other people) but often with no need to feel/experience that same emotions himself/herself.


In reality I have alot of both ways, but much more of the feeling as motivator and the thinking as a result. That's why I'm more of a poet or creator than a pure psychologist or interpreter.

["Fascinating idea, that fantasy is what lies between feeling and thinking. What makes you think so?"]

It's my fantasy that makes me think so ;-)
Well, not really. The idea originates from a sort of esoteric, theosophical system, where emotion is one step in evolution and thought is the next step. For us to learn to think really good, requires not at all to cut off our feelings, but to use the best feelings in appropriate ways.

["Is it possible that fantasy is the result of thinking motivated by feeling? Or a fusion of the two?"]

Yes, to think motivated by some feelings. Or shall I say: Wishfulness. Trying to formulate a clear thought of something true, but with a good amount of wishes, wishing for it to be that way. (And maybe first when we imagine something, we become curious enough to examine if it can be real.)

Seems then we use a bit of fantasy all the time... ...even if sometimes it's better to call it interpretation, representation, symbolizing, characterizing, transformation, affirmation, or whatever function it fills.

The clearest thoughts are void of feelings. Which doesn't mean that humans who have clear thoughts are themselves void of feelings. Rather the contrary - just that they've learned to really feel with heart and really think with brain.
But til you get there you have to intermix the functions (using wishful thinking or even thoughtful feeling) to even get a glimpse of how something possibly can be.......



¤¤¤
¤
¤¤¤

Inga kommentarer: